Welcome to the Illinois Health Matters Blog

What health reform means for the people of Illinois

A blog by IllinoisHealthMatters.org

Monday, January 7, 2013

Start Your Week Right! Contact Springfield Today.

Leveraging Federal Financing for the Uninsured (HB 6253) Reaches the Illinois House THIS WEEK
This week (and possibly TODAY)  the Illinois House will consider HB 6253 House Amendment 1 (HA 1), a bill to leverage federal financing of the state’s Medicaid program in 2014 to cover the uninsured, made eligible by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

In Illinois today, thousands of low-income adults without dependent children are not eligible for Medicaid. This major gap in healthcare coverage would be eliminated by HB 6253 under the ACA. This Medicaid option is expected to bring $4.6 billion additional federal dollars into the state of Illinois just in the first three years, making it a great fiscal deal for Illinois!

HB 6253 authorizes Illinois to take advantage of the ACA to provide Medicaid to about 342,000 low-income Illinois citizens who are currently uninsured. Because of the ACA, Illinois can offer Medicaid to this population at no expense to the state for the first three years, and in later years the state will never pay more than 10% of the cost of this coverage (with federal funds covering the remaining 90%). Learn more about HB 6253 HA1.

2 Ways to Take Action TODAY:

  1. Tell your Illinois Representative to support HB 6253 today! Call the easy and toll-free ‘Illinois Affordable Health Care Hotline’ 1-888-616-3322 to be connected to your legislator. Need some talking points? Click here.  You can also look up your Illinois Representative’s contact information directly using this easy online tool!  Click here.
  2. Submit an electronic witness slip in favor of the bill: You can click here to file an electronic witness slip today.  Click on the icon on the right of the Appropriations committee to find the listing for HB 6253. Once you find HB 6253, click on “Create Witness Slip.” You should check the “proponent” box for House Amendment #1 (HA #1) and the “Record of Appearance Only” box.

*The 'Illinois Affordable Health Care Hotline’ is a function of the AARP Hotline. Please, do not be alarmed by the AARP phone recording. This phone line is open to everyone.
*The original House bill number (HB 5019) has changed since the recording of the Hotline to HB 6253, and may change again! Please, do not be alarmed by the incorrect bill number. This phone line is still active to support 'Medicaid Financing for the Uninsured'.

Thank you!

Questions? Contact Stephani Becker (312.265.9072) or Stephanie Altman (312.265.9070) at HDA.


  1. Such a nice blog, you really provide me some great information. i am going to bookmark this blog, share with my friends and will definitely visit here again. Thanks for your article.
    Jimmy Wilson-Blue Leather Jacket

  2. Outstanding post I really like the document; appreciate the method that you defined everything, you are doing an incredible employment lots of other people as you by way of that type of informative websites supply awareness to be able to all of us relevant to many points. When i understand various other intriguing sites from the websites in addition to We are so much fascinated together with your writing a blog expertise, My partner and i also did start to write content this also kind discussion actually guide everyone away. When i previously added your own webpage in addition to propagated your current web sites to help the colleagues besides everyone although these people just like your own blogs expertise, hope you compose a lot more useful websites in this way a single and all the best for your potential sites.
    Jimmy Wilson-Captain America Biker Jacket