This is great news for the people of Illinois.
With October 1 less than six months away, we need these federal funds to help get the word out about the availability of new insurance coverage options. According to Enroll America's research findings, the majority of uninsured Americans don’t know the health reform law will help them:
- 78% of the uninsured don’t know about the new health insurance exchanges
- 83% of people who could be eligible for the new Medicaid expansion don’t know about it.
Here's a timeline of what needs to happen to be ready by October 1, 2013. Since Illinois is running its exchange/marketplace in partnership with the federal government, we need to be mindful of activities by both the feds and the state:
- Illinois Marketplace Team Selects Training Vendor (UIC/Public Health)
- Marketplace Team Releases Outreach & Education Plan & Conducts Outreach to Encourage Navigator & In Person Assister (IPA) Applications. (Read this fact sheet to learn about the different Consumer Assistance Entities needed).
- Marketplace Team Receives Establishment Grant Funding
- Illinois Marketplace Team Releases RFP for Media and Marketing Outreach Strategy.
- CMS Releases Proposed Standards for Navigators and In Person Assisters (see here for a good summary)
- Federal Government Releases Navigator RFP (Just released today, April 9, 2013; due June 7,
2013; Expected Award Date - August 15, 2013).
- Advocates create the Illinois Consumer Assistance Matchmaking Spreadsheet to find partners in either the federal Navigator grant or the (yet to be released) Illinois Assister RFP.
- Marketplace Team Issues RFP/Grant Application for IPA entities
- Marketplace Team Approves IPA Training Materials
- Marketplace Team selects firm for Media and Marketing Outreach Strategy (UPDATE: On 7/12/13 Fleishman Hillard is selected)
- Federal Government Selects Navigator Entities (Due date for application: June 7, 2013)
- Marketplace Team Selects IPA entities (see list here)
- Federal Government Takes Applications for Certified Application Counselors (sign up here)
- Navigators, IPAs, Certified Application Counselors (CACs) Receive Training and Certification.
- Media placement begins
- Navigators, IPAs & CACs Assist Consumers during Open Enrollment
- Navigators, IPAs & CACs Provide Post-Enrollment Assistance & Assistance during Special Enrollment Periods
- Program Oversight Conducted By Marketplace Team and Federal Gov’t.
If you have any questions about what this means for you or your organization, please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IHM Project Director